In 1897, while the Royal Palm Hotel was under construction, Henry Flagler noticed that the workers were living in tents. He ordered a row of approximately 30 identical houses to be built for them near the site of the hotel, on what is now S,E. 2nd Street between 1st and 2nd Avenues.
The Flagler Worker’s House, also known as Palm Cottage, is the last known building in Miami directly associated with Florida East Coast Railroad magnate and developer Henry M. Flagler, and is one of Miami’s few surviving examples of Folk Victorian architecture. The house is painted in the famous “Flagler Yellow.”
According to Miami’s Historic Preservation Board, “Flagler Worker’s House is also an excellent example of a modest frame house constructed at the turn-of-the-century as workers’ housing. Although these structures lined residential working class developments throughout the United States, a house of this type and age is rare today in Miami.”
Flagler Worker’s House is a two story rectangular structure with three bays across
the front façade. The building, topped with a gable roof, is of balloon frame
construction and is covered with shiplap siding. The gable end of the building is
faced with decorative wood shingles.
The main entrance was originally located in the far right bay of the front façade
but was moved to the center bay during the 1950’s. The original one story porch
which extended across the entire façade, was also removed at this time.
Windows on the front façade are wooden double hung sash with six-over-six lights,
while those on the side façade feature two-over-two lights. Wood shutters flank
the second story windows. Windows on the first story are presently boarded up.
The house was moved to Fort Dallas Park (which is the original location of the Fort Dallas and, later, Julia Tuttle’s home) in 1980, and was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1989.