The Coppertone Girl sign was originally created in 1958 by Tropicalites, a sign company then owned by Morris (Moe) Bengis. Company artist Larry Moore drew the layout from the design created by advertising agency Tally Embry in 1953. In 1959, the sign was installed at its original location on the north wall of Parkleigh House at 530 Biscayne Boulevard where it overlooked the New Year’s Eve Orange Bowl Parade route. In 1991, Schering-Plough (then owner of the Coppertone company) donated the sign the Dade Heritage Trust. The Coppertone Girl was eventually donated to the MiMO Biscayne Association who oversaw restorations and relocation to 7300 Biscayne Boulevard.
The plastic, metal and neon sign is 33 feet (10 m) high by 29 feet (8.8 m) wide. The little girl stands 27 feet 1 inch (8.26 m) high with her head rising 4 feet (1.2 m) above the roof line of the building. Her little dog is 27 feet 10 inches (8.48 m) wide.